Have you ever wondered if there is a genre of Queer holiday tunes that you may be missing out on when your festive playlist is feeling a little tired? Or perhaps you’re looking for a great book for that special 2SLGBTQ+ tween or teen in your life?
For the December episode of Hey, Cis! our Connected Communities moment with TD Bank Group is all about holiday music, tween/teen books and ‘Ending the Year Extra Queer’!
What are you listening too and reading this month?
Share your faves in the comment section below or add a song to our ‘Hey,Cis! Jingle This’ Spotify playlist.
Hey, Cis! episode 36 is our 2022 year-end podcast where we’re sharing some good spirit and festive enthusiasm. The team at SGF reflect back on the year and with of our highlights; as well as connect with two of our locally, Queer-owned shops for some of their tween/teen ‘must-read’ Gift Books.
And because sometimes your holiday playlist needs an overhaul, scroll down and tune-in check to a few of our toe-tapping faves for the season.
Image: Isaac, Emma and Cyn getting frosty
during the recording of S3:E35 of Hey, Cis! podcast
Hey, Cis! Jingle This – Holiday Playlist
Marshall and Jay’s Reading Recommendations & Gift Inspiration
Venus Envy store owner Marshall recommends:
- Felix Ever After by Kacen Callender
- I Wish You All The Best by Mason Deaver
- Can’t Take That Away by Steven Salvatore
- Genderqueer – a memoir by Maia Kobabe
- Cemetery Boys by Aiden Thomas
- Ciel by Sophie Labelle
Venus Envy is an award-winning sex shop and bookstore. ‘Anyone who’s turned off by traditional sex shops will find us a welcoming and informative place.’
Cape & Cowl Comics & Collectibles – Jay’s Faves featuring trans representation:
- Wandering Son by Takako Shimura (Unfortunately out of print, but you can sometimes still find volumes on the secondary market)
- Backstagers by James Tynien IV and Rian Sygh (There are three paperback graphic novel collections, plus some other additional one-shot comics and prose stories)
- Prince and the Dressmaker by Jen Wang
- She-Ra Legend of the Fire Princess by Gigi D. G. (Based on the series by Nate Stevenson)
- Mooncakes by Wendy Xu
- Genderqueer by Mia Kobabe (I usually just warn parents/teens that pages 128/129 can be hard to encounter)
- A Quick & Easy Guide to Queer & Trans Identities by Mady G.
- Nimona by Nate Stevenson
- Steven Universe by Rebecca Sugar (MANY different comics and graphic novel collections and books available)
- The Tea Dragon Society by Katie O’Neill (Three large hardcover volumes available)
More great rainbow representation:
- Heartstoppers by Alice Oseman
- Wait, What? by Heather Corinna and Isabella Rotman
- A Quick & Easy Guide to They/Them Pronouns by Archie Bongiovanni and Tristan Jimerson
- Moonstruck by Grace Ellis (Three paperback graphic novel collections available)
- The Trans Agenda by Sophie Labelle
Cape & Cowl Comics & Collectibles is a comic shop that is so much more in Lower Sackville, Nova Scotia, specializing in comics, toys, and games. They have a variety of products and events for contributing support, education and fun to our community!
Thanks for growing with us this year!
Listen to S3:E36: Ending the Year Extra Queer!